I am so excited to share with you an online read-a-thon called Book Bonus that aims to raise funds to support children’s literacy in Australia. It is linked to the NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge, which I remember doing when I was in primary school! Students who participate in Book Bonus will be able to seek sponsorship from their family, friends and giving strangers and the money raised will go towards the schools and Dymocks Children’s Charities to supply new books to participating schools and schools in need to tackle Australia’s low and declining literacy rates.
The Book Bonus goal is $50000 and Dymocks Children’s Charities will contribute 125% of the total funds. That is $62500 going towards schools in NSW if the goal is met! On top of that, Dymocks Children’s Charities will award an additional 25% of the total funds raised to schools in need. Book Bonus has already started and will run until the end of the NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge (31st August 2018). Currently, the total stands at $2672 from 102 donations. But we can do better!
What can you do to help? If you have kids attending primary schools in NSW, why not get them to participate too? If your child’s school isn’t listed as a participating school, why not get the school involved? Developing literacy skills is important and we need to tackle these declining rates now. Get the whole school involved! If you don’t live within NSW or don’t have kids, there’s still a way that you can contribute! Why not make a donation that will go towards a worthy cause? Any donation, small or large, will help.
I have made a donation to my primary school, Eastwood Public School, which currently has no students participating *sad face*. But if you get stuck, feel free to donate there so that you can encourage more students to participate. There are also lots of cute faces on the homepage that you can support. Just choose one to show your encouragement!
To encourage donations, I will be giving away $50 worth of books to one winner.
- The only thing you need to enter is to make a donation of at least $5 to Book Bonus.
- There will only be ONE winner who will win $50 worth of books from Dymocks (or another online retailer if there are specific editions you are looking for).
- The winner must be able to supply a copy of their donation receipt for verification.
- This giveaway will be open until 11:59pm AEST on Friday 20th April.
- The winner will be contacted within 24 hours of the closing date and if I don’t receive a reply within 48 hours, I will choose a new winner.
- The giveaway is open to Australian residents only.
Good luck and support children’s literacy!