I went slightly crazy this month with my book buying. There were a lot of events and that prompted a lot of book buying. Whoops?
- Shatter Me trilogy boxset – Tahereh Mafi
- Confess – Colleen Hoover
- It Ends With Us – Colleen Hoover
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close – Jonathan Safran Foer
- Americanah – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Bone Gap – Laura Ruby
You might be thinking “Jenna, didn’t you buy Bone Gap a few months ago already?!” And the answer is yes, I did. I got a paperback copy when I was in Florida because the book isn’t published in Australia. However, I wanted the hardcover edition. So when Jeann @ Happy Indulgence mentioned that she wanted to buy the paperback of the book, I offered my copy to her in a heartbeat so that I could buy the hardback. And here it is! This month, I also received my preorder of the Shatter Me boxset. It’s a series that I’ve wanted to read for a really long time but the Australian covers are hideous and I couldn’t justify buying the series in hardcover. I saw some of Colleen Hoover’s books with large discounts so I bought Confess and It Ends With Us, which are the two that I’m most interested in. And finally I also bought Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and Americanah, using the BooktubeAThon discount.
- Uprooted – Naomi Novik
- The Walled City – Ryan Graudin
- Breathing Under Water – Sophie Hardcastle
- Twenty Boy Summer – Sarah Ockler
- Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales – Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant
- Saga Vol. 1 (Saga #1-6) – Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
- Monstress Vol. 1: Awakening (Monstress #1-6) – Marjorie M. Liu & Sana Takeda
August 13 was National Bookshop Day in Australia and of course I had to visit Kinokuniya. I ended up buying Uprooted, The Walled City, Breathing Under Water, Twenty Boy Summer, Saga Vol. 1 and Monstress Vol. 1 that day. I’m super excited to pick up those novels!! I also received a free book that day for spending over $30 (I’m kicking myself for not splitting up my purchases because I could have received 3 free books with all the money I spent). I ended up getting Queen of Shadows, which I already own a copy of so I gave away this copy on Twitter. A week later, I was at Kinokuniya again for a panel that Jeann was moderating and during a quick browse of the YA section, I picked up Monstrous Affections, an anthology of beastly tales by some wonderful authors that I’ve read and lots of others who I’ve never heard of.
- The Memory Book – Lara Avery
- The Protected – Claire Zorn
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – J.K. Rowling
- Newt’s Emerald – Garth Nix
- When Michael Met Mina – Randa Abdel-Fattah
- Between the Lives – Jessica Shirvington
- The Hating Game – Sally Thorne
Dymocks had a 2 for $30 sale on select Aussie YA books this month so I bought Newt’s Emerald and When Michael Met Mina. They also had a double points sale one day in August, which prompted me to buy The Memory Book, The Protected, Between the Lives and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Finally on National Bookshop Day, I bought The Hating Game and I’m super excited to read it. I read Sally Thorne’s fanfiction about 7 years ago and have been following her on Twitter since then. It’s so exciting that she now has a published novel and the synopsis sounds right up my alley!
angus & Robertson BOOKWORLD
- Fangirl Collector’s Edition – Rainbow Rowell
I already own the original green hardcover edition of Fangirl but because I was getting the opportunity to meet Rainbow Rowell, I decided to buy the pink collector’s edition too. Angus & Robertson is an Australian online retailer and they just happened to have free shipping when I decided to purchase this book so I took full advantage. The book arrived the day after I ordered it!!! I was sooo pleased. The book itself is lovely. It isn’t that much different from the original edition but it has lovely Cath & Levi and SnowBaz fanart as its endpapers and a cute coffee cup on the naked cover.
- #SaveOzStories collection
- Our Chemical Hearts – Krystal Sutherland
- Stealing Snow (Stealing Snow #1) – Danielle Paige
- The Devil You Know – Trish Doller
- Words in Deep Blue – Cath Crowley
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) – Laini Taylor
- Heartless – Marissa Meyer
I’m a very lucky girl and received lots of wonderful books this month. My Happy Indulgence coblogger, Aila @ One Way or an Author sent me her ARC of Heartless!!!!!! I’m still internally screaming. Like I haven’t stopped screaming enough to find time to pick up the book. I also did a trade with Angel Reads for Daughter of Smoke and Bone. The book was signed by Laini Taylor and I’m still internally screaming about that too. Jeann sent me copies of Words in Deep Blue and Our Chemical Hearts to review on Happy Indulgence. Thank you to Pan Macmillan and Penguin Teen Australia for those. Bloomsbury Australia sent me Stealing Snow and The Devil You Know. And finally, I got a copy of #SaveOzStories, which is a collection of short stories by a whole bunch of Australian authors. This book is a response to the proposed changes to the book industry by the Australian government. The two main changes proposed are the reduction of the copyright period from 70 years to 15-25 years and the abolishing of parallel importation restrictions to create an open market. These will both have a detrimental effect on authors and the publishing industry in Australia.
What was your favourite book that you acquired in August?